Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Starter Kit for Make Up Newbies

Hello, Loves!


Like with every thing else, we always have to start somewhere. Before I had all my make up and a drawer-full of lipsticks, my make up kit only contained a few basics. I was still in college then that's why I don't need that much make up but when I stared to work, I knew I need to buy a few essentials to add to my kit. So if you're a make up rookie or just simply clueless about make up but want to build your starter kit, here are a few things you might want to include. 

1. Moisturizer

-  Putting make up on an unwashed face (unwashed face usually has too much oil) may cause break outs or may cause your make up to look cakey. However,dry skin may cause the make up you put on to look flakey. That's why starting with a clean, moist face is important before putting any make up on. Just choose the one that suits your skin type and budget. I use Olay Complete because it has SPF.

2. Foundation

If you are gifted with beautiful clear skin, a foundation is not necessary. A tinted moisturizer or a BB Cream will do. Should you still want to use a foundation, opt for a sheer or light foundation. However, for those who aren't so gifted, choose a foundation with medium to full coverage but be careful not to over-pile on the product. Remember, foundation is not meant to totally erase any skin imperfection but rather to even out the skin tone and lightly cover any marks or imperfections. If you go overboard, you'll end up having a "cake face" and that ain't pretty. Also, choose a foundation that suits your skin type.

3. Concealer

If you don't have visible blemishes or dark under eye circles, you can opt to skip this. Although, a concealer is a great way to instantly brighten up your face and make you look more awake. If you don't have obviously dark under eyes, choose a shade lighter than your skin tone. This will act as a highlighter and instantly brighten up that area. If your under eye circles are dark, choose a shade that's close to your skin color. A light concealer will accentuate it even more.
4. Powder

A powder is used to set your foundation and concealer. This means increasing the staying power of your base (foundation). This is also necessary for quick touch-ups when you go out. I suggest using a brush to set your foundation because it will make it look more natural. Choose the shade that's closest to or just a shade lighter than your.






5. Eyebrow pencil


Eyebrows or properly drawn eyebrows make a BIG difference in how you look. Get an eyebrow product whether it's a pencil, powder, or gel that matches your current hair color. Here's a tutorial on how I draw my brows

6.Neutral Eyeshadow Palette
Nyx Caviar and Bubbles palette

Go for neutral colors if you're still on a newbie phase. This is the safest way to experiment with colors and blending. If you make a mistake, it's hardly noticeable since the colors are close to the natural skin color. It is also great and safe to use everyday. There are many neutral eye palettes in the market so just look for the shades that you feel comfortable wearing. Start with a trio, a quad or 12-pan eye shadow palette. You don't need a 100-pan eye shadow to start with.


7. Eyeliner

Eyeliners may be in a pencil, liquid, or gel form. For newbies, a pencil is a good way to start because a liquid or gel eyeliner requires more skill and control. Begin with a basic line and eventually practice doing the winged eye. Usually a black eyeliner looks great but it might look too strong for a beginner. A brown eyeliner looks more natural.







8. Mascara


Mascaras are great to give you that instant wide-awake look. It opens up the eyes and adds more sultriness to it. Just make sure to choose a wateproof mascara to avoid racoon eyes.

9. Blush

Blush products give the skin a flush of color which adds more life and vibrancy to your look. This may come in a powder, cream, or tint form. Powder blush are easier to apply but cheek tints may be a little tricky but definitely lasts longer. I like matte blushes because they give a more natural finish on me compared to shimmery ones.







10. Lip balm

Lip balms are moisturizers for the lips. It leaves it soft and moisturized. It also preps the lips for a beautiful lipstick application because any lipstick will not look good on chapped lips.






11. Lipstick

I believe every woman should have lipsticks in their life. It is an instant pick-me-upper. You can have absolutely nothing on except for mascara and lipstick and you can still look put-together. You don't need a drawer-full of lipsticks, or a collection of different finishes to start with. Just a few basic shades will do. Here are links to the four lipstick shades I think every woman should have. If you're a little confused as to how to choose the right shade for you or how to shop for lipsticks, or what lipstick finish will work great on you, feel free to visit the links. Still not sure about wearing lipsticks? Here's why I love wearing lipsticks and why I think you should too. :)


12. Tools

Now that you know what make up to include in your kit, don't forget that tools are important too. Some of the tools that I think are essential are: Tweezers (to tame/clean those unwanted stray strands of hair), Eyelash Curler (to curl and open up those lashes) and make up brushes (to apply and blend your make up).  

 I hope you have fun building your kit up. Remember that make up is fun and there's always room for trials and errors. Just enjoy the process of finding out what colors or finishes you like and looks good on you. Also. don't forget that make up is subjective. What works for one does not necessarily mean will work for you. Do some research, read reviews, and you'll have a lot more products in your collection before you know it. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you for dropping by!

You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/lipsticksandmoe
Instagram and Twitter: @lipsticksandmoe

1 comment:

  1. Great tips mommy. I am so bad when it comes to make up. I buy a few and forget about them for months! The only ones I have in my bag are eyebrow pencil and an antioxidant lip balm (which I always forget to use). Will take note of this because I really think I need to update. I always panic when there are events and I don't have anything to use!

    ReplyDelete