Monday, March 3, 2014

Lipstick 101: Choosing A Lipstick Shade

Hey! Gorgeous gals and hot mommas!



I've had my fair share of "mistakes" in choosing a lipstick. I always get attracted to a certain shade worn by a model or another woman but becomes disappointed when I finally get try it one because it washes me out or is just off against my skin. Some of the women I know who are not very much into lipsticks often tell me that one of the reasons behind their lack of enthusiasm for it is that they have no idea what shade works well for them. They often have a hard time picking out the "perfect" shade that will suit them.

So here are some of the guidelines I gathered to help you choose what lipstick shade will be most flattering and will work great for your skin tone.
To help you find the right shade, you must first know your undertone. Here's a chart to help you identify what undertone you have.


readmylipstickdotme.wordpress.com
WARM UNDERTONES 

People with warm undertones look best in earth, coral,  orange,  bronze, peach shades.

  • Red lipsticks with brown and orange undertones work great for people with warm undertones. Try M&Co. Long Lasting Matte Lipstick in Brick Red and Ever Bilena Matte Lipstick in Storm.
  • In choosing a nude lipstick, avoid those that are more than 2 shades lighter than your skin tone as it will wash you out. Choose nude lipsticks that lean more towards the peach side. You can try Fashion 21 Aqualicious Lipstick in Arctic Stone or CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Sultry.

  • People with warm undertones can also rock pink lips as long as it's yellow based or peachy-pink shades. Try Fashion 21 All Day Matte Lipstick in Sushi or Nyx RLS in Minimalism.

COOL UNDERTONES

Those with cool undertones look best with blue, purple, and pink.

  • Blue-based red lipsticks like Fashion 21 All-Day Matte Lipstick in Garnet and Nichido HD Lipstick in Glam Red work well with those with cool undertones.
  • Pinks like Ever Bilena Matte Lipstick in Off Beat Pink or Nichido HD Lipstick in Fetish Pink are great for those with cool undertones.
  • I think rosy-pink / mauvey nudes look great people who have cool undertones - Ever Bilena Matte Lipstick in Mauvey and Maybelline ColorSensational in Make Me Pink.

http://lacquered-up.com/

Make up has no strict rules because it is meant to be fun and enjoyed. These are merely guidelines. The best way to know if a lipstick works for you is to try them on and see if you like how you look wearing it. In case you find testing lipsticks in mall counters gross, these may at least serve as your guide.  

Remember

The best lipstick shade for you  is always the one that makes you feel confident and beautiful.
 - momgonevain

I hope you found this helpful. 

Thanks for dropping by!



You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

9 comments:

  1. This article was definitely helpful! I didn't know that peach looks good on my skin tone. I've never tried either. Thanks for this! Bookmarking for future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really will never know if a shade looks good on you unless you try it on.

      Delete
  2. Very helpful and nice article! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I never knew about undertones! I just go pick a lipstick and apply it. thanks for this guideline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I also do. I try them on first. I only learned about undertones a several months ago. It's a big help :)

      Delete
  4. I was having dilemmas in choosing the right shade of lipstick that matches my skin tone. This is a very helpful article. Thanks for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was having dilemmas in choosing the right lipstick that would match to ky skin tone. I always end up disappointed because the ones I chose didn't look good on me. This article is really helpful. Thanks for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad it helped you Pauline! hehe! :)

      Delete