Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY: My Own Version of Mason Jars


Hi! Friends.

I have this weird thing for beverages in Mason jars. I think they're super cute and very shabby chic. What exactly is a Mason Jar? You ask. Well, according to Wikipedia, A Mason jar is a molded glass jar used in canning to preserve food. Here's what they look like:


Cute di ba? I also like them because they can be used for so many other things. Just like these:
photos from google
So one time, I passed by a bazaar (which I can't really remember where) and saw one booth selling Mason Jars. I was so excited because I really wanted to get one. I was surprised that they were very expensive!!! As in a 16 oz. jar with lid and a stainless straw costs Php 850.00? Seriously,
 Php 850 for a jar??? I went home kinda broken -hearted.


Anyway, one night my husband and I went to our favorite bar and restaurant (77 Cafe Bar & Resto)  for our date night and I was so thrilled to see that my usual iced tea is now being served in jars! It wasn't a Mason jar but  an old re-purposed jar. Oo nga naman noh? Bakit pa ako bibili ng overpriced jars when I can just make one myself?!


So I took an empty jam/spread/mayo jar, cleaned it, (you can also sterilize it) and Voila!
My very own beverage jar! Who needs those expensive jars, anyway?


This is exactly why I love DIY's. Re-using old jars save you a lot of money and is environment-friendly too. You can also choose the size and shape of your own beverage jars. 

If you are like me, who has a thing for Mason jars, you might want to consider this DIY before splurging on insanely priced jars. 

Re-use. Reduce. Recycle.

Thanks for dropping by!


You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

9 comments:

  1. We've been repurposing old glass jars as far back as I remember, using them to store sugar, coffee, creamer, etc. But we've never used them to serve drinks before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did too. :) When I was young, we used to put sugar in empty jars. I never thought of using them for drinks until they became a big hit among juicers.

      Delete
  2. i love DIYs ganyan ang mga baso sa in-laws ko hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nakakatuwa di ba? Kasi tipid sya sobra kesa bumili ako sa mga stores. Tapos yung iba hindi rin ganun kakapal yung glass.

      Delete
  3. Your jar looks really good! I've been repurposing the small jars I get from jams and (strangely enough) atsara. I can't wait to empty out my larger jars so I can try this chic-looking drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You can really find good-looking jars from groceries. It's like getting two for one. May palaman kna, may baso kpa pagkatapos. :) We use recycled jars for atsara too.

      Delete
  4. Great idea. Ako naman I've been repurposing candle jars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I nominated you for The Liebster Award! :) Here: http://nix-sayo.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pretty cool idea to transform jars into drinking glasses, plus they're really sturdy.

    ReplyDelete