Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Kokuryu Summer Cake

Hey Y'all!

I know it's not summer yet but I thought I'd post something "summery". Hehehe! No. This is not an outing post or a swimsuit post either. But it's about Kokuryu's Summer Cake! Yes. From the same brand your grandmama's foundation probably came from. I am actually having some nostalgic moment right now. Anyhooo, I already gave in and bought this baby (oldie) after so many days of reading reviews and contemplating. 


OVERVIEW

Kokuryu's Summer Cake might actually be older than me or even you but it is surprising that SM department stores and other leading department stores still carry this product/brand. I got very very curious and decided (finally) to try it out. So, I got mine for Php 99.00. Yes. Very cheap. Piso na lang hindi pa naging php 100! Ganun sya kamura!  I got the small pan but they have a bigger pan which is called Super Summer Cake I think. It's the red one. This small pan already has 25g of product. 

PACKAGING


The cake is in a white plastic pan with a  twist-open lid. It feels and look a little bit cheap but then again I cannot complain because of the price. I am just a little bit more careful where I put it because I don't want to drop it and break. I actually like the gold writing on the lid because it has that classic old-school charm. The manufacturing date is also written on the box in case you're very keen on expiry dates and stuff.




SCENT

OK. The scent. Hmmmmm... The scent really reminds me of my grandmother. It's not a bad smell but you know... nostalgic. Anyway, it's not a problem for me because I don't find it repulsive or nauseating. If you, on the other hand, are very sensitive with scents this might be something to consider.

PIGMENT

I got the shade Orange Blush which according to the SA and Rattus of Beauty on a Shoestring Budget  is closest to my skin tone. At first, I was afraid it'll give me a horrible whitecast like the Kokuryu Cream Cake which I reviewed here. Surprisingly, it gave me just a little whitecast. 



CONSISTENCY & LONGEVITY


Since this is a water-activated foundation, it might be a little difficult and time-consuming to apply. Instead of a brush, this can only be applied using a damp sponge. It's not very difficult to apply once you get the hang of it. Just make sure you blend it out very well and the application is even. It feels wet at first then it dries up to a powder finish. (I honestly love the drying process because it feels cool on the skin.) It lasts quite long on me. I started to feel a little oiliness after 4 hours. Take note, just a little oiliness so I just pat some powder foundation on and that's it! Good as new!  

L: freshly applied foundation, C: full face in natural light,  R: full face with flash

On the lips: Wet n Wild Megalast Lipstick in In The Flesh



I never thought I'd say this but I am in love with this foundation. Now I know why this is just so popular back in the day and until now! It really gave me great coverage and a flawless, smooth finish. It doesn't even feel heavy on the face. I didn't have any break outs either! For the price, availability, coverage, and staying power, I am giving it 5 kiss marks! 

Have you tried this foundation? What are your thoughts?

I hope you found this post helpful!

Thanks for dropping by!

You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

26 comments:

  1. Love it on you! And ang mura lang ha. :) Pasok na pasok sa budget nating mommies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo mura lang sya. Hindi nmn ako ngbreak out. Nung una parang ayoko kasi parang ang cheap pero nung ntry OK ok nmn pla sya. Super sikat din sya sa Malaysia.

      Delete
  2. ang ganda sis!!!! or maganda lang talaga ang skin mo!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! Well, wala talaga ako major blemish that time pero maganda din talga coverage at application nya sken. So far nagustuhan ko talaga sya.

      Delete
  3. Awww...you make me want to buy one, too. Do you think they have shades lighter than Orange Summer?

    BTW, you rock the nude lips and the defined eye! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiesty Femme! :) You can try it if you want. It's only Php 99.00 :) Yes, they do have lighter shades than Orange Blush. :)

      Delete
  4. Maria Eileen CaballeroSeptember 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM

    Coverage is really awesome for the price :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really nice on you. I've tried using 2 way cake with a damp sponge and I ended up looking so cakey. Nice blending skills, sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It's my first time to try using a cake foundation. It really took me a lot longer than I normally would if I'm using a liquid foundation. Hehehe! Patience is a virtue pag ito gamit ko. :P

      Delete
    2. Thanks! :) It's my first time to try using a cake foundation. It really took me a lot longer than I normally would if I'm using a liquid foundation. Hehehe! Patience is a virtue pag ito gamit ko. :P

      Delete
  6. After reading this it got me curious coz I know my aunt had been a long fan of Kokuryu talagang loyal fan di ko lang pinapansin. I will check this out talaga because of your review, so affordable pa. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry late reply. Very affordable talaga :)

      Delete
  7. Your friend Kookie recommended this kase nga maganda daw sabi mo. I've tried it today on my bare-newly-washed faced, the coverage is good. After 5 hours okay pa sya, think pag mejo matagal na yung oiliness nya is helping pa to make your face look moisturized! BTW, can I use this everyday?

    Thank you and nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! hehe! Personally, one of my faves sya next to my Ever Bilena Studio Finish Stick Foundation. Pwede nmn sya everyday pero kung light application lang. I wouldn't really recommend using any foundations everyday kasi it might be too much for the skin. I alternate it with my BB Cream or powder lang. :)

      Delete
  8. Tried this today and coverage is good, pag tumatagal and mejo oily na it's kinda helping pa para mag mukang moisturized yung muka mo, BTW, can I use this everyday? You look so pretty btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oo nga. After 4-5 hours nagiging oily na T-zone ko pero manageable naman. Pwede cguro pero light lang. Yung mga full coverage foundations kasi hindi adviseable for everyday. It might be too much for the skin din. :) Thanks! :)

      Delete
  9. San po b makakabilh. Meron po ba sa watson nito .ang ganda naman nito. Nice review po.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa SM Department Store ako nakabili. :)

      Delete
  10. U look good. Btw i wanna ask u something. In my country we call it arab cake. Hehe. I just wanna know if this kokuryu is the same one as we know in my country. Can u send me the box picture? I just wanna make sure. If it's the same then why should we go for the one imported in arab saudi. We can take it from philipine directly. And since it's imported, the price became higher and plus the shipping cost . I wish ur willing to send me the pictures or give me some information about it. Thank u so much. Wait to hear from u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Karar! I am not sure if it's the same as Arab Cake. I'm sorry I can't show you the box since I threw it out already. You can try to search Google for a picture.

      Delete
  11. I bought mine for only 85 pesos in a local drugstore. I really liked it's coverage as well. I'm suffering from hyperpigmentation and this foundation really did a great hell of a job in covering them. Like you, I didn't suffer from any breakouts or whatsoever. I am In love with this foundation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! It's cheaper! I love it a lot too. I just hope it's more long-lasting. It's just a little too light for me now that I've got a little bit more tan. I wish they have more shades suited for Pinay skin tones.

      Delete
  12. I look like a ghost in pictures with flash while wearing this foundation. I don't know if it is because the foundation doesn't fit my skin complexion or it is a natural thing. please reply, i'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ai! It could be na hindi match yung shade sa skin complexion mo pero meron din tlaga sya slight whitecast kaya I use just a few layers para hindi make cake at harsh ang whitecast.

      Delete
  13. I am trying first time and I love it. BTW, you look very pretty in this shade. Good choice! It is not readily available in Singapore and very expensive!. ....Rose

    ReplyDelete