Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Toddlers and Bumps: My Little Tot Fell Off the Crib

Hello! Hello!

Last week, one of the scariest things in my life as a mommy happened. Yomi fell off her playpen. 

Photo from www.babysleepsite.com

She was already sleepy so I put her in her crib because she's used to sleeping on her own. If she's sleepy I just put MTV on and she will eventually doze off (She loves MTV more than cartoons well, except for Dora). Anyway, I thought she's going to sleep already so I put her in and gave her one of her toys to cuddle. When I thought she's settled in, I turned around and walked away. I was just a few steps away when I suddenly heard a thud followed by a loud cry. In panic, I turned around and saw her lying on the floor. It turned out that as soon as I turned around she stood up and climbed off her crib. I was literally shaking as I hug and comfort her while checking to see if there were any injuries. 


I was very upset - at myself. Questions and self-doubt flooded my mind. "How can I be so careless?" "Why did I turn around?", "I am such a bad mother.", "My husband will kill me." "Will she be okay?" are just few of the things I can't help thinking. It's a gut-wrenching feeling. I think I've already blamed myself a million times before anyone else can. 

Luckily, there were no open wounds and she did not appear to have any broken bones. She just had a minor 'bukol' on her head. I put ice on it to reduce the swelling. I also observed her for a few hours for vomiting and fever. After a few hours, she was back to her normal playful self. I am still all shaken up and there she was running around as if nothing happened. I breathe a sigh of relief but I still took her to her pediatrician just to be sure. Her pediatrician said she's out of danger (THANK GOD!). According to Dra. Pia Marie C. Trinidad-Palarca, M.D. of Dr. Jesus Delgado Memorial Hospital, in case something like this happens these are some of the signs of serious injury to look out for :

Loss of consciousness.  This is one of the indications of serious head injury and it's a must that a child be taken to the E.R. or to be seen by a physician. If you suspect neck injury, do not move the child and immediately call for professional help. So it's sometimes a good sign to see or hear your child cry immediately after the bump.

Vomiting. Usually when a child bumps his/her head, you can expect that he/she will vomit once or twice due to crying, coughing, or gagging. But when a child vomits more that twice, and is vomiting excessively as in in projectile motion then that means he or she must be taken to the hospital.

Lack of focus. Check to see if your child seems disoriented or doesn't focus on you, look you straight in the eyes when talking to you, or doesn't respond to questions or commands. If he or she exhibits these symptoms, take him or her to the doctor immediately.

Loss of balance. If a child bumps his or her head, he or she may experience dizziness. That is expected. When he or she falls or loses balance a couple of times while walking, take him or her to the doctor. That's why I was able to breathe a little sigh of relief when I saw Yomi playing and walking around normally after her fall. 

Non-stop crying. When a child gets hurt, it's normal to hear him or her cry. But if the crying doesn't stop after an hour, take him or her to the hospital immediately.

Increasing/severe headache.  Consult a doctor immediately if your child continues to complain of severe headache.

Sleepiness. One of the signs of serious head injury is sleepiness. If your child is showing signs of sleepiness  that is beyond her normal sleeping habit or is difficult to wake up, it is best to see the doctor.

Fever. Observe if your child succumbs to fever within 24 hours. This might mean something is broken or damaged inside. If this happens, take him or her to the doctor immediately.

NOTE: These are just some of the symptoms to look out for according to Dra. Palarca. It is best to see a doctor immediately if you are in doubt.

I hope this helps! (God forbid anything like this happens to your little one).

Thanks for dropping by!

12 comments:

  1. oh my. it must be really shakening. glad your baby's ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tin! Thanks! Oo super scary. Ang tagal mawala ng nerbyos ko. I almost cried. Thank God she's out of danger.

      Delete
  2. I feel you, Monika. Ganyan din ako kapag nasasaktan si baby. Nerbyos at awa much :( Thank God at okay na si baby mo..

    Btw, I think I saw your blog from Carlo Binadas's facebook. Parang na-ishare niya ata ito the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krisna! I am really thankful nothing serious happened. Ibang klaseng takot nramdaman ko. Friend mo ba si Carlo? Thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, my first born fell off from his playpen when he finally figured out how to escape from his bed. All he did was cry then back to playing again. Yes, this are the tips to watch out for when this dreadful situation happen. God forbid wag na maulit at kawawa naman ang baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serene! Naku sana nga wag na maulit. Buti na lang wala din nangyaring masama sa baby mo. Kaya todo bantay na si baby. :)

      Delete
  4. Toddlerhood is such a scary stage! Tatanda ako ng maaga, lagi akong ninenerbyos! You know, we sleep on a mattress on the floor because I'm scared my toddler will fall off the bed. Hehe.

    All we can do is pray to God to keep them safe. Glad your baby is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angeli! Oo tama ka. Grabe nkakanerbyos! Kailangan lagi nakabantay kasi baka bigla sila matumba o masaktan. Kami naman lagi sya nasa may wall para wala syang huhulugan. I hope your baby will always be safe. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. glad to know na bukol lang si baby.. my 3rd baby, lagi siya nahuhulog or nadadapa and he's quite matamlay so madalas (para lang makasigurp) diretso agad kame sa hospital to check kung may severe head injury, mabuti naman at laging wala..

    lagay ka ng maraming rubber mats mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mommy Pehpot! :) Buti naman laging walang severe head injury si baby mo. Wood panels naman flooring namin pero I'm still thinking of buying yung rubber floor matswith ABC's :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my! You know my daughter fell from the bed 3 times when she was still a baby. Super likot! Good thing our bed is not high and very close to the floow. Plus, our floor back then was wooden. Hayyy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Buti na lang hindi mataas yung bed nyo and wood ang floors nyo. I'd would have been a different story if it was concrete.

      Delete