Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Coffee Journey



I am not much of a coffee drinker myself. In fact, everything I know about coffee can be found inside a 3 in 1 sachet or that occasional mocha frappe. I never understood coffee. There seems to be a wide range of coffees from all over the world yet for me, they all taste the same - bitter. It never seems to taste as good as it smells. So when I saw an invitation from afters Espresso and Desserts for a Coffee Journey, I thought it's about time I get to know this bean a little more.


JC Martinez gives an overview of the event
A Coffee Journey is basically an event that lets people experience different coffees from around the world. In this particular journey, we got to know, smell, and taste four (4) different varieties - Costa Rica , Rwanda, Guatemala, and  Dark Roast. Juan Carlos Martinez, general manager & coffee roaster of Luca & Tosh, explained to us how each variety differ from one another. Luca & Tosh is a specialty microroaster & coffee lab, offering a wide range of specialty grade coffees from around the world. 

coffee enthusiasts listening intently to Mr. Martinez











According to Mr. Martinez, freshly ground coffee beans make the best coffee and to make the best cup of coffee, the ratio of coffee and water should be 1:16 - 1 gram of ground coffee is to 16 ml of water.  

He described the characteristics of each variety before passing around a cup full of the ground  beans. Each of us were asked to take a sniff so we can smell each kind's distinct aroma . He then brewed the ground coffee using a Kalita Ceramic Dripper

brewing coffee with a Kalita Ceramic Dripper

He asked us to observe the taste and aromas of each brewed coffee and what do you know?! They do taste differently. All of them are still bitter but they do have their distinction. I think Guatemala coffee is the best out of the bunch. It's mild, light, and its bitterness is tolerable. Rwanda and Dark Roast are too bitter for my taste. 

He was even so sweet to pour the coffee for us himself.

Aside from the four, we also got to taste afters' own blend of coffee. Theirs is a blend of  80 % Arabica & 20 % Dark Roast. I actually liked it too. 


This is exactly why I love educational experiences like these. I am now looking at coffee in a whole new light. I might even try brewing coffee from now on -  drinking it with  sugar and creamer of course. :) 




Afters Espresso & Desserts is a very quiet, cozy, and spacious coffee shop located along Tomas Morato Avenue. Aside from their delicious blends of hot and cold coffee, they are also known for their mouth-watering desserts and gelato which they make from scratch in their own kitchen. 

Popcorn gelato is my favorite. 

there's ALWAYS room for dessert

coffee and desserts are always best shared with the best company

with Afters owner, Vincent Fideles and coffee roaster,  JC Martinez

If you happen to be dinning in the area, don't forget to have your desserts at Afters Espresso and Desserts. For more information you may visit https://www.facebook.com/aftersmanila or you may call (02) 791 87 89.

Thanks for dropping by! :)



You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

1 comment:

  1. Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely excellent.
    I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what
    you're saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

    Here is my web-site Coffee Pure Cleanse Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete