Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Chikungunya Virus

Hi there!

I saw warnings about Chikungunya on TV Patrol the other night and I can't help remember my experiences with this virus so I thought I'd share it with you.

source: virology.ws



Last March 26, I woke up with a fever, chills and body pains. When I went out to take a paracetamol, I noticed I have red spots all over my body. I thought I have measles because just a week before that my daughter had measles. I thought I might have gotten it from her. For the whole day my fever was high at 39 degrees. My joints, especially my hips and legs were aching terribly. It was very difficult to stand let alone walk. 

source http://drdevendrapatel.blogspot.com

The next day, the fever had subsided but my joints were still aching and the red spots were still there. The spots and joint pains lasted for about a week before they totally disappeared. 

A month later, I started feeling a lot of pain on my joints again, even my fingers hurt. It was very difficult to walk because my feet hurt very much too. It was like I am stepping on something sharp every time I walk. 

I went in for a check up because I suspect the pain to be arthritis. When I described how I felt, my doctor examined my fingers and ankles and she ruled out arthritis because they were not swollen. I recounted my experience a month ago because that was the first time I experienced pain in my joints. I also told her about the spots and the fever. She then said that I had Chikungunya Virus and that those were the symptoms.  She said that some even experience debilitating pain because of it. She even recalled one of her patients had this  virus, a runner,  who was not able to stand for a month because of the pain. Recovery from this virus varies. Some may recover in a week, for some it may take months and even years.

According to the World Health Organization, Chikungunya virus is a viral disease which is transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. The name chikungunya comes from a verb in the Kimakonde language, meaning 'to become contorted'. This refers to the 'stooped' appearance of those suffering with joint pain.

© 2010 iStockphoto.com/speterlopez


What are the symptoms?



Symptoms appear between 4 and 7 days after the patient has been bitten by the infected mosquito and these include:



  • High fever (40°C/ 104°F)
  • Joint pain (lower back, ankle, knees, wrists or phalanges)
  • Joint swelling
  • Rash
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue

Chikungunya is rarely fatal. Symptoms are generally self-limiting and last for 2–3 days. The virus remains in the human system for 5-7 days and mosquitoes feeding on an infected person during this period can also become infected. Chikungunya shares some clinical signs with dengue and can be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common.

My physician told me that there's still no known cure for this but she prescribed something for the pain.

Yes. The word Chikungunya sounds a little funny if you are not familiar with it. Even my friends kinda laughed when they heard the word for the first time. But this virus is real and is a lot serious that it sounds. Now that it's spreading it is very helpful if we stay informed and maintain a clean environment. The pain brought by this virus is no laughing matter so please stay safe and healthy everyone! 

Thanks for dropping by! :)


You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

15 comments:

  1. Wow. Never heard of this virus, not until now. This is a good-to-know info mommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ. I'm glad to have helped in some way. May outbreak na daw kasi sa ibang lugar sa Philippines. Dito sa bahay 2 na kami nagkasakit ng Chikungunya. Scary kasi nakukuha sya sa lamok. Sana wag magkasakit mga babaies natin.

      Delete
  2. Scary! And I thought dengue was the only thing we had to worry about from mosquitoes. Time to stock up on more bug spray, citronella oil and mosquito repellent and patches. Mahirap na. Thanks for the info, mommy!

    xo Patty
    mrspcuyugan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) Although this is not as lethal as dengue, this is still very serious. Masakit sobra sa katawan and joints. Ang tagal mawala ng joint pains. Lalo na mosquito season ngayon. Hope you're family is safe and healthy. :)

      Delete
    2. So far so good! Wishing for the same for your family too. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Glad you got better! Thanks for the early warning blog. Definitely something to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oo nga eh. although not totally better kasi may joint pains pa rin from time to time. Stay healthy and safe! :)

      Delete
  4. I heard about this from TV Patrol too and wondered if my kids got the virus since they've had rashes. Luckily, they never had fever and the other symptoms. Plus the fact that they've been active the whole time. At least it's not as lethal as dengue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not as lethal as dengue pero may outbreak na din sa mga provinces. Actually even dito sa QC. Kasi yung sken dito ko nakuha eh.

      Delete
  5. I think this is what my pedia aunt was telling me that mosquitoes now has developed a lot of streaks that differentiates one virus from the other. But their s and sx are quite similar with each other. Hope everyone will be safe. Lalo na kami. Dami lamok dito di maubos ubos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo grabe nageevolve na nga mga nkakalokang lamok na yan. At paramng mas dumadami pa sila.

      Delete
  6. bookmarked!!, I love your blog!

    my web site Joint Relief Solution Review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guys Me too afflicted with this disease. 9 months q nang nararamdaman yung after effects nya. Dito q rin sa Q.C. ko nakuha eto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil! Oo nga eh. Ako din Dito ko nakuha sa QC. Nakakatakot na mga lamok ngayon kasi ang dami na nila sobra. Hay sana totally mawala na yung joint pains mo. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, I never thought mosquitoes could be such carriers of a lot of sickness. Thanks for this info! :)

    ReplyDelete