Wednesday, June 26, 2013

NO to Domestic Violence Against Children

Hi!

I know how the daily tasks can make us very tired and irritable. With everything that's going on, we could easily lose our temper that even a child's faintest cry can make us snap. I understand this perfectly, even as a stay-at-home-mom I get tired too at the end of the day. But no matter how exhausted I am, I exert extra effort to control myself when Yomi starts crying and acting up. I walk away when I know I am losing my temper because I don't want to hurt her out of anger. I am afraid of what I might do to her.
Some adults, unfortunately, cannot control their anger especially when dealing with children. Just like what my siblings and I witnessed tonight.

photo: babyresearch.blogspot.com




We often hear our new neighbors scream and shout at one another. I don't know if it's out of anger or excitement. We just know that they are a very loud bunch. But tonight was different. 

My brother was tinkering with his toys in the backyard terrace when he heard a crying child about 3 years old being scolded by a woman. Normally, we would ignore this because we thought it was ordinary to them. My brother suddenly went inside the house saying that he heard a loud thud from the neighbors and suspected that the woman might have hit the child's head on the concrete floor. My sisters and I quickly ran outside to see what was going on. From the terrace, we saw through our neighbors window (it was just a few meters away) the woman continuously scolding the child. She was saying a lot of things to the boy and she sounds very angry. We could not really tell if she was hitting the boy but we can hear things falling on the floor. Thinking that it was nothing, I went inside. 

Suddenly my brother went inside and said, "Naku! Nabagok yata yung bata." That's when I hurriedly went outside again. There I saw a woman holding the child with her hand on the boy's head and shaking him to wake him  up. She then passed him to another woman who also seems to be in panic and she vigorously shook the boy but he wouldn't wake up. That's when we screamed, "Dalhin niyo na sa ospital yung bata." but  they just ignored us and kept on trying to wake him up. I was shaking in fear for the safety of the little boy. It was like a scene out of a movie. When I couldn't bear watching, I went inside and looked for our barangay hall's phone number. I was already crying and shaking. My brother and husband went inside and decided they'd report the  incident to the barangay hall. My sister said that he might have woken up because she already heard the boy cry. Our barangay officials took my brother's statement but said that they could not interfere because the residence is private.

We didn't get to report them to Bantay Bata because we were also afraid for our safety. We do not know them and how they would react to our "meddling". But if this sort of thing happens again, we will surely dial 163.

I felt a little traumatized by what I saw. I felt fear and pity for the boy. I hope and pray he is fine. As for the woman, I don't want to judge her but I do hope she thinks a hundred times before she raises her voice and hands to that little boy again.


Are you against corporal punishment? What do you think we should have done? Should we have meddled or left them alone?



You can also find me on:

FB: facebook.com/momgonevainblog
Instagram and Twitter: @momgonevain

18 comments:

  1. That is so disturbing. I hope they move out of your neighborhood so that you will not be a witness to any of their activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. it is. natakot talaga ako akala no hindi na gigising yung bata. hindi ako nakatulog masyado because I was thinking of the incident.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I get stressed out with our toddler too, but never to the point of hurting her like that. We usually do time outs when she just won't listen... and that works. I learned in my two years of being a SAHM that kids will really test your patience. The more you show that you are annoyed, the more they will annoy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is always best to walk away from the situation when losing your patience diba? Nakakaawa yung bata. I really hope he's fine.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh.. it's sad to know that this issue never dies. You know, I have cousins in the province whose father is so violent. Lagi syang mainit ang uli at mabigat ang kamay sa mga bata. Ang sakit lang ng ganun kasi father mo pero parang puro bugbog lang abot mo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no... it's a vicious cycle. ang batang lumaki sa bugbog may chance ring lumaking nambubugbog. :(

      Delete
  4. I want to cry! Hindi pwede makialam ang barangay? What is wrong with this world? Aaaargh!

    I will pray for the little boy. Grabe. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo eh hindi daw sila pwede makialam. ewan ko ba. yes please pray for him. we are praying for him as well na sana hindi na maulit sa kanya yung nangyari.

      Delete
  5. Sa lahat ng ayoko eh makita or marinig na ung bata sinasaktan. it just breaks my heart. that's why i am so against spanking and shouting. me mga days din naman na fatigue gets the best of me pero i try my hardest not to shout. nireremind ko na lng sarili ko na huminga ng malalim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Tama ka jan. Lahat naman tayo napapagod pero hindi yun excuse para manakit ng bata.

      Delete
  6. Hay naku! Ewan ko ba kung bakit may mga magulang na parang walang pakialam kung makapatay ng anak. Tsk.. Sana di na lang sila nag-anak. O kung hindi nila kayang alagaan at mahalin eh di sana ipa-adopt na lang nila sa mga magulang na hindi nabiyayaan ng anak..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Krisna. Ang dami jan gustong gusto magka anak tapos yung iba minamaltrato lang mga anak nila.

      Delete
  7. Grabe this cycle never stops. Di ko alam kung pano nila nagagawa yun sa sarili nilang anak. :( Disciplining is one thing, purposely hurting your children is another. Hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaya nga eh. Some people can't control their anger or worse sa bata ipinapasa ang galit nila.

      Delete
  8. This is so heartbreaking. I get stressed with my toddler too but I take time out when I am in the brink of hitting him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. It helps talaga to remove yourself from the situation kapag naiinis kna.

      Delete
  9. nakakakilabot naman :( at nakakalungkot.. may episode din ako ng hitting but after seeing what I have done dahil sa sobrang galit, binawasan ko na.. namamalo pa din ako pero pag malamig na ang ulo ko and I am very very careful when doing it at syempre hanggat maari iwas talaga..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minsan talagang mahirap iwasan lalo na pag mainit na ulo ko dahil sa pagod. pero concious effort talaga para lang maiwan kong masaktan si baby.

      Delete