Monday, June 10, 2013

Desowen Cream for Rashes, Insect Bites, and More

Hello! Hello!

When Yomi was a few weeks old, she had this excessive dry skin, almost like dandruff, on her scalp. Her pediatrician prescribed Desowen cream. 




Desowen Cream is manufactured by Laboratories Galderma from France and is imported by Galderma Philippines Inc. These are the same people who make Cetaphil, I believe. Desonide, Desowen's generic name, is basically a topical corticosteroid. This is usually used to treat mild to moderate itching, redness, and swelling caused by certain skin conditions (e.g., eczema, dermatitis, allergies, rash). It works by reducing the swelling, itching, and redness that can occur in this types of condition


At first I was disappointed with this product because it's expensive, a tube costs Php 400-500 more or less. We were lucky enough that my sister-in-law gave us a few samples so we didn't have to spend that much. Also, it didn't really make her scalp any better. My sister gently massaged her scalp with cotton ball and baby oil and after a few minutes the dry skin came off. The dryness or flaking didn't appear ever since. I thought, "Eh baby oil at bulak lang pala mawawala na. Buti na lang hindi na kami bumili. Masasayang lang pera namin." 

This wasn't such a waste after all. When my daughter had diaper rash for the first time this is what I used to treat it. The rash gave her a lot of discomfort. Luckily a few hours after application, her rash had dried and it was completely gone the next. I was very relieved. I also use this for insect bites. It reduces swelling and itchiness in a matter of minutes.  As a matter of fact, this is what I tend to reach for every time she gets a rash or is bitten by an insect.  I just apply a very small amount to the affected area because a little goes a long way.  Aside from insect bites, my husband and I even use this on large, swollen pimples. It reduces swelling almost immediately. This ointment really works. It's just too bad that this is expensive. I wish I could find a cheaper alternative to this. 

I do not recommend buying this without prescription. And although this works for us, it's not always the case for some. I suggest you consult your physician first.

Hope this helps. :)

For further information:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/desowen-cream

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-150642-DesOwen+Cream++Lotion+Top.aspx?drugid=150642&drugname=DesOwen+Cream+%26+Lotion+Top )

Do you know any cheaper alternative for this cream? Please let me know. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment