Thursday, June 20, 2013

Carrie Lupoli a.k.a "Chief Mum" Meet & Greet

Hello! Hello! 

I have assumed my mommy role for just a little over a year and I admit I still have a gazillion things to learn about being a good mother. Sometimes I feel like I am not doing enough as Yomi's mom or that I know a lot  about make up more than I do about first aid kits. To be honest, I am still learning the ropes of motherhood every single day. 

That's why when Glaiza of Moomy Musings posted an invitation for a meet and greet with Carrie Lupoli a.k.a Chief Mum and saw that the venue was near our house, I grabbed the chance even though it was very last minute. I had no idea who she was at first but Glaiza had me at 'Chief Mum'. I just knew I'd learn a lot from her. (I googled her before going to the meet & greet.)

Carrie Lupoli , B.S., M.A., M.Ed


Carries's CV is very impressive. She has earned numerous degrees in education. She has worked as a special educator and administrator in the US before she started Live and Learn. Live and Learn is Singapore's premier children's special needs consultancy and assessment firm focusing on diverse concepts such as: Inclusionary Support and Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessments. She uses her experiences to help improve inclusive education practices so all children can succeed. In addition to being an international educator, Carrie is also a parenting expert and a spokesperson for Mattel Fisher Price. In fact she was a guest speaker at the recently concluded 2013 Fisher Price Joy of Learning Workshop here in the Philippines. She is also the official "Chief Mum"  for www.MumCentre.com, a family of parenting websites in Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, and Philippines. Aside from her impressive professional career, she is a wife and a mother to two beautiful little girls. 

Miss Carrie and Fisher Price Southeasr Asia Senior Brand Manager, Wong Lai Kwan
I was very blessed to have the opportunity to chit chat with her. She was very friendly and bubbly. We were able to ask her  from one mom to another a few questions. Mommy Glaiza asked her what is her must-have product for her girls and she candidly replied that it's the iTouch. Carrie explained that she's thankful for technology in times  when they're out for dinner and the girls become very restless because it keeps the girls busy. 


Mommy Vance asked about the importance of "me" time for mommies. Carrie said that "me" time is very important because no one can work for 24/7. Even mommies need a little time for themselves. She also added that her "me " time could mean 30 minutes in the morning to enjoy her coffee or a night out with girlfriends. Her husband also insists on  date nights. 

mommy Glaiza and mommy Vance

I asked her about child attachment. Yomi is very attached to my sister and it stresses me out sometimes. She told me that children will always know who their mothers or parents are. That though my daughter may be attached to her aunt more than me, she still knows that I'm her mother. In addition to that, she pointed out that in the future my sister could just be my best ally when it comes to disciplining her.



It was a very short interview but it was filled to the brim with information. Carrie stressed the importance of teaching social skills, like respect, to our children in the early years (0-5 years) which we can do through a fun and playful way. Play-based and joyful learning teaches cognitive skills and character skills that sets the foundation for success later on in their lives. Also, one of the important things she said was that the best way to raise a child is to BE THERE for them. There is no perfect way of parenting. It is something we learn as we go along but the what's important is that we love our child unconditionally which also includes setting limits.

Thank you very much Ms. Carrie! Thank you for sharing with us your expertise and experiences as a mom. It was such a pleasure to meet you!

Thank you very much too, Ms. Julie and Ms. Liann of Fisher Price for having us.


L to R: Tin, Vance, Cha,  Miss Carrie, Glaiza, Me, and Miss Lai Kwan
For more information about Miss Carrie Lupoli and Live and Learn check out: http://www.liveandlearnasia.com/

6 comments:

  1. Wow! So nice post, Monika! I'm happy that you found this Meet & Greet with the Chief Mum very fun and helpful for you. Let's share this with Carrie. I'm sure she'll be happy with this. I'll post mine soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was very helpful. She really helped me stress less about Yomi's attachment. She's right. I just have to get over it. I am stressing less now. Thanks to her. :) I can't wait to read your post.

      Delete
  2. This event looks so much fun! I agree with what she said about child attachment. Even if I'm busy with school and my son spends most of his time with his nanny, he would always come to me whenever I'm around. It only means that they recognize us as their parent. Madami pa tayo pag dadaanan as mommies, I'm sure we'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mish! Yes it was fun. Sayang nga wala ka. Biglaan lang kasi yan. Nagkataon lang malapit sa house kaya naka-go ako. Anyway, yes no matter what, our little ones will recognize us as their parents. Madami pa talaga tayo pagdadaanan. Good luck to us. You're right. It's not easy but we'll fine. Thanks Mish! See you soon! :)

      Delete